Hello Darling, I just celebrated my 26th Birthday! A part of me wants to turn back the hands of time, but the other part is excited for what the next quarter century has to bring. These past couple years have been a true growing experience. Chapter 26 will be full of firsts, and I am ready!
25 THINGS I'VE LEARNED IN 25 YEARS
1. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Otherwise known as the 6 P's and one of my Dad's favorite things to say. Invest in a good planner and stay organized.
2. Save your coins. When I got to grad school my finances woke up, I couldn't say I was "grown" without paying those "grown" bills. Budgeting is key and discipline is everything. Which brings me to number 3.
3. There is a difference between being cheap and frugal. I believe in fiscal responsibility, however don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Cheap people, care about the cost of something whereas frugal people care about the value. I'd rather save my money and get the best, then settle for a right now item. Prioritize your spending and do research before making purchases.
4. The book is always better than the movie. Point, blank, period.
5. Identify if you are an option or a priority. If there is no effort, don't make excuses for him and don't waste your time. Move on.
6. Laugh at yourself. Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh. Laughter is freeing so don't dwell on the incident. The beauty is finding the humor in any situation.
7. Skincare is the best care. I love a good skincare routine. It is all about the basics: cleanse, correct, hydrate and protect.
8. Trust your gut. It is ironic because I study the effect of nutrients on gastrointestinal and immune function. Our gut is a predictive biomarker of certain health outcomes but is also referred to as our second brain. That "gut feeling" may be apart of a mechanism between our brain and gut microbiome. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
9. Not everyone is your friend. Be mindful of the company you keep, not everyone is rooting for your success. Some people are in your life for a season and thats okay. Cherish those that are here for a lifetime.
10. Just apply! I have regretted plenty out of fear. Now I live with the 'what if's'. You never know unless you try or keep trying. It's never too late.
11. A decluttered closet is a decluttered mind. Ask yourself, is this the woman I want to be? If not, then baby it gotta go.
12. Life allows more than one great love. I used to believe in the one that got away. But every relationship is a lesson and not all are meant to last. There is no rule that you only get one.
13. Stay in your lane. As hard as it is, worry bout' yourself. Focus on you and what you gotta do. Insecurities are real, but it's all about building self-confidence and self-esteem.
14. Learn to apologize. Grown women recognize when they are wrong. Girl, you knew you had an attitude, admit it and apologize.
15. Worrying never changes anything. "Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's problems, it takes away todays peace". Enough said.
16. Your hair is your crown. I love my texture and curls. Take care of your crown and love the way it grows out of your head.
17. Speak up for yourself. Sometimes you have to clap back, just recognize the time and place.
18. Its okay to not be okay. We won't have it all figured out. Sometimes we have to take a step back, self- reflect, re-evaluate and do some soul searching.
19. Hustle is a verb. Nothing will happen unless you make it happen. If you don't keep it moving your goals will stay still.
20. Update your Resume or CV. And have it handy. I keep a current one in a folder in my email. Save it as a PDF so it is ready to go at any time.
21. Everybody has an opinion. Take the advice or leave it, but ultimately its your life and you have to live with the decisions you make. People can only give advice from where they are at in life. Use discernment, if it is not for you say "thanks girl", and keep it moving.
22. Don't tell everyone your business. Everybody and their mama does not need to know what is going on with your life. I had to learn "Alyssa you talk too much". People remember what they want to remember, be careful of what you say.
23. Define your own "Grown Woman Status" My best friend needs to trademark this, she has coined this term and I have adopted it. GWS is all bout being about your business, being a boss lady in your own right. From developing your style to personal hygiene, beauty regimens home decor and organization. It's all about being that woman, the woman that you want to be.
24. Enjoy your own company. Just because no one wants to go doesn't mean you shouldn't. Go see that movie, or get coffee and read a good book. My goal is to go on a trip by myself. Just think you don't have to accommodate anyone else, you can do what you want and really enjoy yourself.
25. Humility. Set your pride aside, think before you speak, understand others perspectives, apologize, wait your turn and try selflessness.