I don't know about you, but I love tacos! My sister and I make tacos all the time. Tacos are not only inexpensive but they are so easy to make. This recipe is quick and delicious. Buts what's the fun as a future nutrition educator if I don't add some fun nutrition facts for ya!
The CDC reports that only 1 in 10 Americans are eating enough fruits and veggies (yikes!). The Dietary Guidelines recommend we consume 2-3 cups of vegetables every day. I like to see a rainbow on my plate and the homemade corn salsa is the perfect pop of color for these chicken tacos! The fun part of making tacos at home is you get to customize the veggies you add as toppings, tacos can be more than just iceberg lettuce and cheese.
For this recipe I decided to use ground chicken, however, if you want to go meatless, a couple slices of fresh avocado and sautéed onions and green peppers make a fantastic and satisfying alternative.
Veggies on veggies! Despite popular belief, corn is a vegetable that has a variety amount of nutrients and is a great addition to our diet. Corn is a source of vitamin A, B vitamins, minerals such as magnesium and potassium as well as dietary fiber. A 1/2 a cup of corn has about 3.8 grams of fiber. For additional fiber I add black beans. Fiber not only helps with our digestive and bowel health but also feeds the 'good' bacteria in our gut. Tomatoes and Red onions are a source of vitamins and minerals including: Potassium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K. The rich colors are composed of phytonutrients (various biologically active compounds found in plants) such as antioxidants, polyphenols and carotenoids. And my favorite-cilantro, a fragrant herb which provides small amounts of trace minerals and vitamins.
Easy Chicken Tacos
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
For the Tacos
1.5 lbs ground chicken
2 tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp sea salt
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, over medium heat
- Add ground chicken and seasoning, stirring frequently to break up ground chicken for 8 to 10 minutes and until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add minced garlic, continue stirring for one minute and add additional seasoning as needed.
- Serve in taco shells with corn salsa and top with lettuce and cheese and Enjoy!
1 (15-ounce) can low sodium corn (drained)
1 (15-ounce) can low sodium black beans (drained)
2 medium vine tomatoes, diced
½ medium red onion, diced
½ cup chopped cilantro (more or less to taste)
½ tsp salt (more or less to taste)
juice of 1 lime
- Cook corn and black beans together for a few minutes over low-medium heat. Then rinse and drain and add to large bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into the large bowl. Stir. Taste and add more salt and lime as needed.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for a little bit before serving.
- Serve with tacos or just with tortilla chips. Yummy!
NUTRITION INFORMATION- *based on USDA super tracker
Serving size: 1 taco (½ cup meat and 2 tbsp. corn salsa) Calories: 183 |Total Fat: 9g | Carbohydrates: 12g | Sugar: 1g | Sodium: 113mg | Fiber: 2g | Protein: 15g |